In 1915, a field owned by the Taylor family of Newcroft House was leased to private individuals through Urmston Council for the growing of fruit, vegetables and flowers. Known as Blackfield, it covered 4.612 acres and had been used for many years as a dumping ground for general household refuse.
At the end of the First World War, several plot holders formed Humphrey Park Allotments Association Ltd. On 2 February 1918, they entered into an agreement with the Taylor family to rent the field for £10 a year for a period of seven years.
The original gates were at one end of the field on Humphrey Lane, opposite Summerfield Terrace (Gorsey Brow). The field was bought by Urmston Council in 1952 and was let to the Association on a 12-year lease.
Two allotment plots were lost in the 1930s when Humphrey Lane was widened. Originally, the allotments extended as far as the trees that now stand in the centre of Humphrey Lane.